Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Greeting Card Adventure

This week my sponser and I were discussing different long term projects to start on for the second half of the quarter. I was thinking of something a little more on the illustration side of things because I’ve gotten pretty burnt out on the graphic logos.
She suggested greeting cards and I was psyched! She has connections with a company that does an 8 pack variety on life celebrations and funky occasions. This is cool because my vision was to do out of the ordinary greeting cards. Birthday and anniversaries are so over done.
So I started sketching, coming up with ideas, and this first set is a couple’s theme but with birds.

I was envisioning illustrations on the front, with no text and on the back/inside just one line that can explain it all. I might need help on my wording. But for the first sketch I was thinking “Go for it.” Two birds on a telephone wire, and one wants to “ask the other out.” A silohuette on a orange to yellow sunset background. Quirky but sweet. Encouraging type of card.



This second sketch could be for a new couple, “Not in Public, Please?” Illustrating the PDA that comes with new couples...?
The reference photo I used had two pidgeons, however, I wanted to change it to Chukor Partridges.



The next illustration, “ We all have our shouting matches,” is for a couple who got into a fight. To help make up. Two birds of the Love Bird species.



The last sketch in the series was actually my first idea, and the whole idea of a couples theme was based on this one, it might have to change or I was thinking of adding engagement and marriage, or “new nest” in between.
“Congratulations Mommy and Daddy”



I haven’t heard back from my supervisor, so we’ll see what she thinks about these ideas. My next idea for another theme will be doggie cards for situations like “new puppy,” “old dog,” and silly situations like, “pooping in public.”
I am thinking of doing these in color pencil on some kind of fancy craft paper. Kinda like my friend Cora Seymour


... We’ll see.

No comments: